Sunday, November 20, 2011

Week #7 - DONE!

We're getting close. It's been a busy weekend here at the NA. After pretty much an uneventful Thursday and Friday, yesterday we did tours of the Capital Building, The White House, and The Pentagon. Up and gone by 6:30 yesterday morning to be on Capital Hill by 8:00. I still can't believe the traffic around here...even early on a Saturday morning, I-95 towards DC was packed. We ran a convoy up to DC, with some of the cars even running the blue lights. Everyone pretty much got out of our way. When we got there, we parked right in front of The Capital. It was a beautiful day, too! Cold early but not too bad as the day went on and not a cloud in the sky. One of the guys in the session is US Capital Police and he arranged everything. In fact, we had the Capital Building to ourselves for the tour. That being said, I really expected more. The tour was okay but, they didn't even take us to the House or Senate Chambers.
Next was the subway trip to The White House. This was my first subway trip in DC and I'll say this...its the cleanest subway system I've ever been on.

The White House was, in my opinion, the poorest excuse for a tour I've ever seen. You have to jump through hoops to get in, which I understand but after that, it's like, "okay, you're on your own but you can't go here, you can't go there, and you can't take any pictures". 10 minutes and you're done. We walked around downtown to find a place to eat for lunch and one of the guys even heckled some protesters. It was great!

Back on the subway to The Pentagon. This tour was the highlight of the day. The Pentagon cops went out of their way for us and they acted like it was their pleasure to do it. Once again, we had the place to ourselves. Take as many pictures as you want to unless they specifically say not to. They didn't. I had heard stories about The Pentagon pretty much being its own little self-contained city and it really is. We visited the indoor 9/11 Memorial and got to see things that the general public does not get to see on their tour. Like I said, The Pentagon cops were great.

Tonight was Louisiana Night down in the Atrium. The Louisiana students put this one together and it was a good time. Authentic Cajun food and just a lot of fun. They asked us to bring patches or pins for the band that was playing for us so I went back upstairs to get a handful of ORPD patches. One of the guys that I've become pretty good friends with, Glenn Hutchins from Washington State, was also going upstairs to get some patches. Glenn also rides a Harley so he and I have plenty to talk about. Anyway, he says he has a gift for me. He hands me a Harley T-shirt from his home dealership in Bellingham, Washington and says that he had his wife pick it up as a gift for my recent promotion. Thanks Glenn!

Very short week (day and a half of classes) and then its Thanksgiving break.

No comments:

Post a Comment