Friday, October 28, 2011

Week #4 DONE! (well, almost)

Wednesday night, a cool thing happened up in the boardroom. Earlier in the day, Jason Cawthon, was awarded the Navy-Marines Medal of Valor in a ceremony at the Marine Corps Museum. I think that's the proper name of the medal. Jason is in my section and is currently an active duty Marine Master Sgt. During his last tour in Afghanistan, he risked his life to attempt to save the lives of fellow Marines. He saved four Marines and a K-9. Unfortunately, two of the Marines he saved did not survive. Jason is a 23 year veteran of the Marines, is due to be promoted to Master Gunnery Sgt (E-9), and will be deployed back to Afghanistan after the Academy. Kevin Harford, also of my section, is a NYPD Lt. and a member of the Bag Pipes Unit. Anyway, we heard Kevin practicing ion the hallway and he said that he was going up to the Boardroom to play the Marine Corps Hymm for Jason on the pipes. It was so cool! I captured it on my cell phone but unfortunately, can't download it. Windows on my laptop won't play it.

Scott Gay, also in my section, is a Captain from the Sheriff's Office in Augusta, Georgia. Last weekend, one of his officers was shot and killed while answering a domestic call. Kevin also played Amazing Grace on the pipes to honor the fallen officer.

Last night, my section hosted a tasting of Alaska smoked salmon and Wisconsin cheese in the Boardroom. Kris Sell from Juneau, Alaska had her husband send the salmon while Dan Hess from Rhinelander, Wisconsin provided the cheese. Good stuff!

I doing today's entry early because, as soon as class lets out at 3:00 ish, I'm hitting the road for a quick, and un-planned, trip home. The trip to Gettysburg got canceled because of the forecast of snow so that kinda worked in my favor. Be back late Sunday night.

2 comments:

  1. Safe journey and return to Quantico my friend. Session 246 also suffered from the same tragedies of officers killed. Rally together and support our fallen officers. Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try Freemake Video Converter. It is free and simple to use - it will let you convert all sorts of video formats:

    http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/

    ReplyDelete